What goes into selecting the perfect sheet?
Whether you’re about to publish your first book, marketing a business, or have a healthy craft obsession, selecting the best quality paper for your project is paramount to its success. Simply put, choosing paper that renders a poor end-result, is an investment failure.
Let’s face it – human beings are impressed by aesthetics. Look at our passion for premium packaging that compels you to touch it. Customer perception of the character of the product or service we are offering begins with the senses. The more appealing something is at first glance, the more likely we are to believe that is better than anything else. In recent studies, it was found that people tend to have a more favorable response, when they engage with something and freely able to see, touch, taste, hear and smell it.
Strategically, marketers are now considering the way customers interact with communications on a multi-sensory level, and how this converts to sales. Understanding the benefits of specifying superior quality paper stock is going to stand you in good stead among your competitors and boost your bottom line. Package and present poorly; well the rest is assumed.
The Pro’s of Picking a Premium Paper
You might not have thought about the difference between run-of-the-mill and premium paper, but here are some things to consider that make investing in premium paper worth it:
- Beautifully finished print jobs delight the senses and affect purchasing decisions
- Positive customer perception of your product or brand
- Makes a bold statement without saying a word
- Protect your machinery (premium paper is cut within 1/16 of an inch of standard paper trays, hence your printer’s alignment will not be compromised)
- Reduced dust accumulation during printing means less service and maintenance calls
- Paper jams will become a thing of the past
- Photos and colors are more vibrant and detail is delicate
The best way for you to choose a paper that is going to perform optimally is to understand the qualities that will deliver the most impressive outcome as opposed to making your decision based on only cost and availability. At the inception of any project, start considering your choice of paper. In doing this, you will have a clear understanding at the get-go of any design and printing limitations, based on the type of paper and processes best suited to it. You can then adjust accordingly and avoid surprises at the press or in finishing.
Choose Stock That Meets More of Your Criteria
Some things to think about when choosing paper include:
- Personality: What impression do you want to make with your communication
- Finish: What enhancements will the design include
- Color and Brightness: How will color reproduce and appear
- Environmental Responsibility: What impact does your project have on your green footprint
- Type of Printing: Is the stock compatible with your chosen print process
- Type of Finishing: Does it emboss or fold across the grain
- Durability: What is the lifespan of this printed piece
- Availability: Is it accessible in the correct size, color and quantity
- Affordability: Does your budget accommodate your preferences
Although there is an abundant selection of sheets available, and a particular paper stock might check your best cost criteria box, it may still not be the best vehicle for the message. Mitigate press or finishing risks by consulting with your printer or paper merchant prior to design. This way, you will get exactly what you are paying for, and optimize the entire process by starting with an eye on quality.
When you spend a little extra for the best sheet, you will be buying into the creation of an exceptional customer image. It’s a no-brainer; your business can only benefit from the decisions you make when next you are faced with the daunting task of choosing paper. So, sit back and take a closer look at the menu when ordering your cappuccino – paper purveying is your newest passion, and it’s a profitable one.